Customer Onboarding Example #
Alongside Chapter 2, there is this example that shows the customer onboarding process of a fictional telecommunications company as executable process solution.
Link To GitHub #
It used the following stack:
- Camunda Cloud
- Spring Boot
The process model contains three tasks:
- A service task that executes Java Code to score customers
- A user task so that humans can approve customer orders (or not)
- A service task that executes glue code to call the REST API of a CRM system
The process solution is a Maven project and contains:
- The onboarding process model as BPMN
- Source code to provide the REST API for clients (using Spring Boot)
- Java code to do the customer scoring
- Glue code to implement the REST call to the CRM system
- Fake for CRM system providing a REST API that can be called (to allow running this example self-contained)
Current Limitations #
At the time of writing the book, Camunda Cloud was missing some features, that should be used in this example:
Automated JUnit Tests. The ability to write unit tests is limited. The sample code contains a POC for how tests could look like, but the real feature has still to land in Camunda Cloud later in 2021.
BPMN User Task, a tasklist application and task forms. As a workaround, the current source code simulates the user to approve customer orders by a service task. The configures task worker simply completes the user task. A feature set resolving this is expected in April 2021.
Out-of-the-box DMN Integration. As a workaround, this project contains own glue code, that executed decision using the Camunda DMN engine. A feature set resolving this is expected end of 2021.
I will update the example as soon as features are released and available.